This I Believe: Change

Scott - Missouri City, Texas

Change has multiple definitions and is synonymous with a variety of different ideas. To some change is about changing the way one eats, while to others change is associated with negative transformation (i.e. a move away from one’s long time home). For myself change has to do with determination and overcoming obstacles. Changing my life. It is not an easy thing to do. I strongly believe in the human ability to redefine one’s life and redirect it in a positive path or negative path. While I believe that others can have an immense amount of influence over the way we decide to change, we are the maker’s of our destiny and nothing beside that.

To begin my story, I’ve always been impulsive. As a youngster, I rarely thought through my decisions until well after I had already made them. So when I was offered to smoke marijuana in seventh grade by some of the older kids I was hanging out with at the time, I didn’t think twice. Anti-drug ads had no effect on my I guess. I didn’t think much of it. I smoked chronically until around my sophomore year of high school.

By this time in my life I had fallen from a group of “good” kids who made bad decisions to hanging out with simply the wrong people. Falling into the wrong crowd is an easy thing to do when you’re in high school. I fell in with the wrong crowd and began using drugs my sophomore year.

I became addicted. I spent hundreds of dollars a month buying cocaine. All that money went straight up my nose. I would sell things out of my house, scrounge up money from people’s houses, and even steal from my own parent’s and brother’s wallets to support my habit.

At any age, especially this one, it is easy for your friends to have an influence over the way you think. The people I hung out with at the time had no ambition, no motivation, and not a care in the world. So neither did I. I treated school like a playground. I didn’t take anything seriously.

I eventually, toward the end of the year, began to get off the drugs, bring my grades up. I surrounded myself with good people that had a more positive influence over me. I care about my future now and actually want to attend college.

My treacherous path was nothing more than a phase but it was my choice to end it. I chose to let certain stimuli influence me. Choice is the most powerful we as human beings possess. Without choice we are wandering drones, without purpose.