Angela - Missouri City, Texas

Last year during the summer, my mother made a choice for me that I knew was a terrible decision. The moment she told me I was going to a “Christian sports camp” with my church, I knew it was not going to be nice. I continuously told her I did not want to go and that I had a bad feeling about it. She would not listen. So she went ahead and sent me on my way to Missouri.

When I arrived I instantly felt out of place. The first day there was terrible. I had to run around outside in the heat all day. So when I returned to the cabin, I expected to be able to take a shower, and go to be clean. Well that was not the case. I had to be outside in the heat, sweating, for three days without being able to take a shower. I think that is so unlady-like and just foul. The day that they let me shower was a big relief. The bad thing about that was, right after I would take my shower, I would have to go back right outside. So what was the point of taking the shower, then going back outside just to get dirty again? I also did not like the way the “counselors”, the three in my cabin that were chosen to be the “head of the cabin”, spoke to me. The girls all had bad attitudes. Another aspect that bothered me was the fact that they tool my phone and did not let me use it to call home or anywhere else. So I was out of contact with my family for seven days, not knowing what was going on, and the same for my family. As a result of this, my grandmothers were very angry with that. There were many other events and choices the camp official made for me that I was not very fond of.

I would have to say that those seven days were the longest days of my life. That was the first time that I actually cried because I wanted to go home so badly. I cried my self to sleep that night. I remember counting down the days until it was time to go home, and of course they were going by very slowly. When I returned to Houston, I was so happy. When I got into the car, I went on a rampage about what all happened at the camp.

Though I was happy to see my mother when I came home, I was also mad at her. I blamed her for everything. I asked her why did she not listen to me. All she could say was that she thought it would better me as a person and be a great experience. Now all my mother does is apologize about it and say that she will never do it again. I believe that parents should listen to their children, especially when they say, “I have a feeling…” because a lot of the time, well at least 50% of the time, that gut feeling is correct.