Breaking the Spell

Emily - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: change

I believe in change.

I believe that change is inevitable.

I believe that change is attainable.

I come from a stable family, grew up in a stable environment. I lived in the same house until I was 11. I’ve had the same group of friends since kindergarten. I was born into the church I still attend today. As a child, I hated change. Anything that threatened my steady universe was not my friend. Why, I constantly wondered, did things need to change? My parents once decided to rearrange the furniture in our living room. When I arrived home and witnessed the new display of couch and television all panic broke lose! Pandemonium! Instead of facing the doorway, our sofa was now backed against the wall! The TV was facing the opposite direction! In one instance, my world became as wobbly as the old rocking chair, now in the corner instead of by the window!

The thing about change is that it is inescapable. Certain.

This resolving fact acts as a menace to the timid and a hope to the optimistic. I believe this reality is divine.

Looking back at my story, I see that the distress I experienced in my startling situation is a challenge that everyone must face when realizing the necessity of transformation for progress’ sake. But, furthermore, I see great encouragement. I believe that, with ambition, I can attain change, realize my dreams, transcend worldly expectations. Rearrange my furniture. Anyone can.

This thought is, perhaps, even more unnerving than change’s decidedness. That I have, that we all have, the power to metamorphose our lives, our world. How daunting! How challenging! How invigorating! I believe that anyone who aspires, anyone who is eager, who has spirit and drive possesses the ability, talent, and competence to beat, best, exceed, and outshine the typical. The inevitability of change does not intimidate, but encourages and promises me that I can, indeed, affect the world around me. Any change I seek is possible to achieve. I can make this life the one I have always wanted. I believe that I can be a catalyst who breaks the spell of the ordinary, the mundane, the status quo and leaves the world changed.