Life

Andrew - Daytona Beach, Florida

Life is a treasure more valuable than any precious stone that this earth can offer. This I believe. In my early years I was carefree and didn’t have a worry in the world. My mother and father divorced when I was only a couple years old. My dad had custody of me and I was only allowed to visit my mother every other weekend. I was so happy that I could be with my mother from time to time, so happy just to be doing what I wanted to do, being me, being…alive. I still am happy to this very day that I still walk this earth.

I have had many struggles throughout my life, many of which some have committed suicide for. My father was mentally abusive to me; I had been bullied in elementary and middle school, and because I was strange and had different ways of thinking I was labeled an outcast. Yet I still pressed on despite those setbacks. In elementary school it was hard for me because I had no friends; no one to go to when the kids would bully me and torment me. In middle school my dad met my stepmom and she turned out to be a “wicked stepmother”. She would hold grudges against me and punish me for small things like not taking out the garbage and forgetting to vacuum my carpet. I made very few friends in middle school and they all drifted away from me except for one. In the eighth grade I finally understood what it meant to have a friend because of that one person. I had struggled all of those years, to finally receive that wonderful gift. Then I received something more in high school; a best friend, four to be exact. I also had myriad friends whom I cherished and loved so much. I had finally found my happiness that could keep my heart going for eternity. In my opinion, having patience is the key to finding happiness. However, I hear about girls and guys alike who throw away their lives at such young ages. I think that death is for quitters. Life may be a challenge but that does not mean quitting will make things disappear. Death is a dark and lonely existence; I would never want to leave the treasures that I have found behind and go into that emptiness. Just the thought of it makes me well up with sorrow.

For all you potential quitters out there, I beg of you to go seek help and solve your problems, don’t give up when you have come so far in life. The gift of life is one too precious to just cast aside and never be able to enjoy the wonders of life again. I have had sorrows in my life, yes, but I have also had many joys. I look at the joys in my life; those are what I live for. My friends, goals, family, melodious sounds, the everlasting landscape, all of these things are what I love and what I live for. For these things are my life; and I love my life. So please, do not despair and never give in to life’s pressures. Always look on the bright side of life. For if you do then your life will be a melodious rhapsody. An ever-changing canvas, yet the most magnificent masterpiece anyone has ever seen.