I believe the pen is mightier than the sword

Jacob - Springdale, Arkansas

I Believe The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword

I believe that the pen is far mightier than the sword. I ask who has the stronger nation, Iraq who has lived by the sword, or U.S.A. who has avoided conflict if any alternative is presented. I have seen many arguments that could’ve been resolved with simple communication. Words can just as easily move a person as fear, or strength. Those who would argue that fear is a greater means of persuasion rather than conversation. Words can loosen ones lips as well as a blade, and can waiver one’s loyalty as easily as a threat. Should a person choose to kill those who believe the opposite of themselves, for they are weakening themselves by removing a potential ally. This mindless way of thinking has caused a great many problems in my life.

I often find myself at terms with my older brother, and as we get older it’s gotten a bit better. Even so, these arguments tend to result in fights. I’ve seen the problems in a new light recently; I’ve realized that these fights have been a waste of time and energy. I now understand that I should have slowed down and explained to him why I was angry. If my understanding was greater then I might have saved myself a great deal of trouble, and have a much better relationship with my brother, at this rate we won’t speak until we’re forty.

Songs, poetry, letters, stories all of these can encourage a change in any persons life. A sword may inspire fear and scare your followers into following you, but see how loyal one is when they, as a World War II Russian Political Officer put it, “Our men choose between the Nazi bullets or ours.” The man was referring to the way that deserters were shot, and any man who retreated from the mass suicide charges was shot for “cowardice” Such tactics of inspiring fear to cause loyalty doesn’t work like the Political Officer’s solution, “Give them hope.” The Political officers began writing about Visili Zeitsev a Russian war hero, a sniper who slaughtered Nazis by the bucket load. The War turned around for the Russians because all the men strived to be like Visili.

I’ve always been a poet and writer; I’ve seen what words can do. I know many may disagree with me, but I just wanted my voice to be heard, I just wanted you to know. I believe the pen is mightier than sword.