Jessie - Sringdale, Arkansas
Themes: death

“Last Second” Chances

The guns rang through the cemetery. We all stood awaiting the final prayers for my grandpa. When the shots echoed for the last time and they marched away. The green grass and grey headstones slowly became visible as the black disappeared into the cars and drove away. Now my grandpa was alone with the men who would put him into the grave. He wasn’t really there though, because during the last months he lived, God gave him a “last second” chance, this I believe.

My grandpa died in July this year. He died of lung cancer, caused from years of smoking. My grandpa served in the Korean War, which may not have been the most important. Except to him. He had believed for so many long years that he couldn’t be saved because he had killed so many people.

My close family (mom, dad, and sisters) had to stay constantly at his house. We would spend nights awake taking turns caring for our grandpa who had only months before been the one taking care of us. Those endless nights lying awake hearing my grandpa coughing. It made me think of when I had gotten my wire changed and my teeth hurt excruciatingly bad. He had said to me whole-heartedly, “Oh I’m sorry, I wish I could take the hurt for you.” Now when I think back to that day I have to fight back the tears. I wished so badly to take the pain from my grandpa.

During those last weeks he slowly seemed to be getting better. He continuously told us about how he had been talking to God. About how God said that he had been forgiven and could come to heaven. About how it would all work out and my dad would be okay after he died. I wanted to bawl my eyes out because, I prayed every night for God to save him and God had. If God could give someone who had killed people a “last second” chance, then why can’t we give someone who has done us wrong a “last second” chance.

I hope everyone who reads this knows that even though you shouldn’t always wait for the last second you can still have a chance then, So, this I believe; I believe in “last second” chances.