Were there for each other.

Makenzie - springdale A.R

I believe that brothers and sisters will always be there for each other no matter what. I’m very fortunate to have a brother who taught me that this is true.

It all started with a bad day that had just gotten worse. One of my best friends was over at my house for a sleepover, and I was in a fight with my mom. It was a horrible feeling, fighting with my mom in front of my best friend. I could just imagine what she was thinking in her head; “How rude,” or “just forget it, I want to go home.” The fight with my mom wasn’t a small fight either, it was one of those long drawn out dramatic fights.

Though when it ended I wished it hadn’t. I didn’t want to face the embarrassment of trying to explain what had happened to my friend. Plus I was distressed and frustrated on so many levels from the fight with my mother.

So with a croaked voice and teary eyes I told my friend I’d be right back, and I disappeared into a dark and empty room to get a hold of myself. Silent tears spelt down my face and I yelled at myself in my head for letting this happen, for being disrespectful to my best friend and my mother.

The next thing I knew my brother was walking down the hall when he spotted me. I was scared of what he might be thinking, and wished that I could just melt away. Though I felt reassured and comforted when he spoke. “Is this how it’s going to be,” he had asked me. I didn’t really know what he was referring to, maybe my tears, or possibly the way I was acting. I shook my head yes and he motioned me to come in his room.

My brother was there for me. He sat me down on his bed and gave me a tissue. After I had settled down a little bit he let me tell him what had happened and he listened patiently. He gave me some advice about what he thought I should do. After out talk I felt a noticeable relief and calmness. He made me feel better about the situation.

I realized that I could count on him not just then, but when I’m and adult, when I’m middle aged, and when I’m old and handicapped. We would both be there for each other no matter what, because that’s what brothers and sisters do for each other. That is what I truly believe.