I Believe That Others Affect Your Life

Allison - Springdale, Arkansas

Some people say that you shape your own life, and others don’t influence it. I believe that other people’s attitudes affect your life and can make a positive difference.

Last June, my Aunt Lori passed away from breast cancer. When my aunt was diagnosed with the disease, she didn’t let that stop her from living her life to the fullest. She still spent time with friends and family, went shopping, and cared for her beloved dog, Jasper. She never let her cancer slow her down. By her not letting that slow her down, I always think of that when I’m about to not do something because I don’t feel like it.

I complain…a lot. Even about things that don’t matter. When my aunt had the cancer, she never complained one bit about being deathly ill; when I on the other hand, complained about little things. I once knew a girl in elementary school who wasn’t doing very well. Her parents didn’t have much money, she was being abused, and was struggling at school. Even though her life seemed to get worse each day, she kept a smile on and never complained. Every time I am about to complain about something little, I think about how my aunt and my old schoolmate never complained about huge issues in their life.

I know a girl from school who constantly seems unhappy. She has abused herself, and was most likely depressed. I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum. I am for the most part, a happy person who likes to live my life to the fullest. One year I ended up having a class with this girl. Every time I saw her, I smiled, and asked how she was. A few months later, I got to talking to her and she told me that just by my simple kindness to her, it made her feel like she was cared about. This helped lead her out of her almost depressed state. Just by me being nice, I impacted this girls life, and kept her out of harming herself.

Now when I think about complaining; I think twice. Now when the girl from school I know smiles, it makes me feel good that I helped her to do that. I truly believe that people can influence your actions and attitude in life.