I believe miracles do happen

Amelia - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: hope

I believe miracles do happen.

At the age of 12, my cousin Ben was diagnosed with a very rare and serious cancer. This cancer has been found in 4 people in the world, Ben was the 5th.

When diagnosed, we were told that Ben’s case differed from the other 4 because he was inoperable. This means that he would live with these 30 or more cancerous tumors growing on his spinal cord, for the rest of his remaining life. He was inoperable because there were too many tumors too close to his brain. Since his case was different, the doctors and specialist dropped off the devastating news that Ben had a great chance of not living. They could not tell if the chemotherapy would interact and fight off the cancerous tumors.

Soon after we received the news, Ben underwent many MRI’s, cat scans, trips to the Children’s Hospital, and later started many medications and chemo therapy sessions. My 12 year old cousin was a guinea pig for a new and young medical research.

At the time, I was 7 years old and I didn’t understand or comprehend the fact that my cousin could possibly die, and he was going through so much pain. Over and over I tried to wrap it around my head. The first time I saw Ben since the diagnosis, I finally got it. This was all real… every part of it. Ben really had a serious cancer and we could lose him. It hurt me to know that he was in so much pain. Since the disease was relatively new, the doctors and specialist didn’t know much about what they could do to help him. After months of gained and lost hope, chemotherapy, and medications, the specialist have us the answer to our prayers. Ben Dalton had a chance.

After that, Ben’s conditions changed dramatically. The tumors interacted with the chemo and the cancer cells were idle. This means that they weren’t growing to worsen his health. Since this case is inoperable, Ben will live the tumors, but they are still cancerous.

Ben is now 19, has his driver’s license, is back in school, and carries on a close to normal life, with the acception of frequent Children’s Hospital visits. This whole experience has taught Ben, his family, and the others who have witnessed, that miracles do happen. Everyone had their mind set on no hope, and Ben didn’t get any better…. We turned ourselves around and we still have our Ben with us. This 12 year old fighter has showed me that if you have the right mind, even in the toughest of times, miracles do happen.