People Shouldn’t be Punished for Religion

Camille - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe that people shouldn’t be punished or criticized for believing in the religion they were born into. Some people believe they will be reincarnated. Others believe that sinners in their places of worship should be excommunicated and given a death penalty. I’m not sure why people chose certain religions, and whose religion is right or wrong, but I am a Christian. I am strongly rooted in my faith and believe that I am following the correct religion.

I believe that no one should be forced to do something they don’t want to do, especially when it comes to converting someone’s religion. People are raised to believe certain things and personally, I don’t blame them if they don’t know any better. I don’t think they realize that they are doing anything wrong because people who they look up to and admire follow the same principals, morals, and practices they are taught. So some religions that do bad things keep doing the same bad things continuously. And, they don’t know any better, so it continues in the same downward spiral for years and years. They should be taught better morals, but shouldn’t have to change their religion or be punished for their wrong doings involving the beliefs of their religion.

Once, when I went to South Dakota with my grandparents, I met a group of people with a very different religion from mine. They were Hederights. The Hederight religion is very similar to Amish people. Their religion is extremely different from mine, and they experience a lot of non-acceptance and are criticized constantly for their beliefs. Before I met them I kind of thought it was silly to be separated from the world. But, after I met them, I realized that they are extremely nice people who are just like me…but different. That helped me realize that we’re all the same, but still individuals. And that we all can be friends and not fight, but still practice the religion we believe in.

I believe that religion is important, and should be everyone’s own choice. And that we should not, not be friends with someone because they believe in another religion. I believe that people shouldn’t be punished or criticized for believing in the religion they were born into.