Dylan - missouri city, Texas

I believe that the best friend anyone can have is a pet. It does not matter what kind of pet it is. The pet can be a dog, a cat, a bird, a fish, a frog, a lizard, or a ferret. A pet is always there to listen. A pet is always there to play. A pet always wants to be with you. A pet is always waiting by the door when you come home. There is nothing more loyal than a pet. Those are the best traits of any good friend.

I have two dogs. One is a mix of Doberman and other breeds named Hershey and the other is a Boxer named Brownie. Both have not missed one day of greeting me at my door when I arrive home from school. Both have listened to my never ending rants on the ever so busy teen life. But, that’s a lie now. I have one dog now. Just recently, my Boxer died of Leukemia. Now, I realize more than ever how much he has affected my life. He has been my best friend since the fourth grade. Everyday, well every day possible during his lifetime, I went outside to my backyard to play a game of tug-of-war or fetch with him and my other dog. I would run through the yard carrying a stick or a tennis ball while Brownie would chase me. When he finally got to me, he would grab the stick and push me over and go on to lick my face vigorously for minutes upon minutes. After all the play, I would sit with him and my other dog and pet them continuously and talk until bedtime. No one has ever listened to me as much as him. Not only that, he understood me. He seemed to have just the right facial gesture or movement to give me the best advice. I was never alone when I had him. After taking all the brushes of his hair that he desired, he would always be there the next day.

His death was a tragedy. His death was like if my brother died. Almost immediately, I recognized the difference without him. Like the old saying goes, “You do not know what you got ’til it is gone.” Though, I knew what I had. I had a friendship. A friendship that would last forever. The day after his death, I attempted to relax with my other dog. Even though my other dog is just as good a pal as my Boxer was, it will not be the same without both of them. It was like one piece missing in a puzzle. The picture will never be complete.

So, my belief is that there is no better friend than pet. This is a lesson I was lucky to learn early in life. Now, I want to spread the lesson to others and tell them than one pet can change a person’s life. You can never be alone when you have a friend that is always enthusiastic about your presence.