Everyone Needs a Miracle

Hannah - Springdale, AR

Everyone Needs a Miracle

It was midnight on a cool Sunday evening at the beginning of October. Normally, I’d be asleep, yet I was still awake, reading Nights in Rodanthe, a Nicholas Sparks favorite. There are people in these books that have lost everything or need love or support. One element that all of Nicholas Spark’s books contain is a miracle, and it was through these uplifting, inspiring, and often depressing books that I discovered my belief.

I believe that everyone needs a miracle.

In 2004, my grandma was diagnosed with cervical cancer. This really shocked my family. She had quit smoking and was doing well financially and was healthy. This was naturally, very unexpected.

My mom had lost her father to a heart attack when she was two years old and her grandfather when she was thirty-three. I did not want my mother or my grandmother to suffer any more loss.

My grandmother needed chemotherapy. And radiation.

Grammy had raised six kids as a single parent and let my mom and I stay with her when my parents got divorced, but nothing prepared her for paying for the therapies that she had to have. So as a family, we pulled together to help pay for her therapies.

I prayed for a miracle nightly, and imagined her as Jamie in A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks. Only Grandma-Jamie lived. And so did her loving Landon.

She had always been a thin person, but I never expected her to be thinner. Coming out of therapy, she was like a skeleton with a thin sheet of skin all over her. Her hair was no different. Going in thin, coming out so thin that it was almost invisible. It was alarming.

These losses were only cosmetic, yet they weren’t even noticeable when compared to the miracle that my family received.

After eight months of therapies, my grandmother was put in remission and is still there.

Nicholas Sparks taught me to believe in miracles, and my grandma’s story proved my belief and gave me hope that I might have a miracle of my own someday. Even if I don’t, then I can still share my grandma’s and be thankful for it. I believe that everyone needs a miracle, no matter how small.