I Believe that Humans are Destroying the Earth

Payton - Springdale, Arkansas
Themes: environment

Well, to put it frankly, yes. Humans are indeed destroying the Earth. Antarctica is considered, by late Steve Irwin, “as a canary in a mine-shaft” for the world’s health as a whole. So when Antarctica started melting faster than usual, that should have alarmed everyone around the world that their world was in trouble. It didn’t. In fact, most still don’t even think the Earth is really on the brink of destruction. They just want bigger and better things for themselves, but do you think that they think about how the Earth’s affected with their lifestyles? That’s why I believe humans are destroying the Earth.

Some people are wanting to do their part, but they soon realize that it’s more expensive to make an attempt to preserve the Earth than to keep on destroying it! My family stood up to this challenge. We began to recycle. It feels so great to see that we are doing our part instead of helping “fill” the landfills. We also reuse our plastic bags, and paper, and such. We try not to waste, what with the economy being lousy and all. We are trying our best to help the Earth when so many aren’t. Are you one of those families that helping to destroy the Earth? You may not think that one family can cause damage, but look around. There are a lot of families in the world, all using tons of gasoline and throwing away recyclable materials. You can probably see how all of this adds up very quickly.

What are some of the consequences of our lifestyles and actions? The Amazon’s being deforested (or pretty much deteriorated) for oh, I don’t know… Dining Tables? Chairs? Bed Frames? Medicine? And what is coming out of this? Animals, hundreds of species that thrive only in the Amazon, are losing their homes and dwindling on the edge of extinction. Our ozone is depleting rapidly with all of our pollution we are hurling forth. A big reason we are hurling so much forth is gasoline. And we drill it out of the Earth! You may not realize this, but we as humans are wasteful. We take far more than we need. How many chicken trucks do you see everyday? Well, I live in Northwest Arkansas, but still! I see around 2-5 trucks -full- every day, sending countless chickens to die for what purpose? To be thrown away or washed down the sink? Ugh! I wouldn’t die to feed others, let alone to be cooked and washed down the drain, or thrown away? That’s just sick! You probably don’t realize this, but we are doing an absolutely horrible job taking care of the Earth that has supported us for millions, even billions of years- and what are we doing to continue this constant, never-failing support? We are destroying it. I want to change that. Not in one hundred years, now.

If you disagree with my belief, I understand. After all, this is a big belief to grasp. But I know people are destroying the Earth, this I believe.