Alexiss - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe that people shouldn’t be judged by what they do and put into certain groups. I believe people should be well-rounded. People need to have friends that do all sorts of different activities. For example, I have friends that are in band, cheer, and even cross country. Most of the kids at my school just hang out with the same people all of the time. I’d bet that they probably only know maybe fifteen outside of their clique. A lot of times people judge people by the way they dress. We have all done this, even myself. But in some cases people’s personalities can be misunderstood in the way they dress. Sometimes, who a person is friends with” classifies” that person. This is unfair because who a person is friends with doesn’t describe that person. I also think people shouldn’t judge others without knowing them.

One day at our school, we will call her “Girl”, walked up to me while I was in a cheer uniform and said, “I hate preppy cheerleaders.”

“Okay”, I replied.

Then I casually walked away. It made me angry that “Girl” said this because she probably doesn’t even know my name. It really upset me, but this short conversation made me curious. Yes we all know “Girl” had no right to say this, but I wondered why she thought this way towards cheerleaders. I realized that she probably hasn’t ever gotten to know one. If “Girl “ would’ve not judged me by what activities I participated in, maybe she could’ve gotten to know me. When someone judges me, as “Girl” did, without knowing me, I always wonder if this person and I could have been friends. I know I can’t change the past, but I can change the future. One of my favorite quotes is “You can’t judge a book by its cover.”, and people are the same way. “Girl’s” first impression on me wasn’t very friendly, but I don’t judge her. She has her opinions and I have mine, and I believe that people shouldn’t be judged by what they do and put into certain groups.