Live Your Life and Love It- This I Believe

Julie - Housto, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

Throughout our lifetime we come face to face with obstacles that we have to overcome. Life challenges us with problems that sometimes seem too overwhelming for us to handle. As hard as we try to escape these obstacles, they always find a path into our lives. We all experience obstacles whether we like it or not, but the way we choose to overcome them can make us a stronger, more valiant person or a weaker one.

When I was ten years old, my parents got a divorce. It felt like my world was falling apart and that there was no way to put it back together. It felt like somebody was ripping a piece of my heart away. My family was my stronghold and watching it break away was like the ground beneath my feet crumbling. Every night I would pray to God and ask Him to fix my family. I would even try and bribe Him by telling Him that if He would bring my parents back together, I would do better in school, or eat my mom’s meatloaf. Going through a divorce is the worst feeling in the world and it literally feels like there is no tomorrow. In the end, things were how they were. My parents were divorced and there was nothing I could do to change that. I had two choices, I could go hide in my room and cry, or I could move on and be happy and grateful that I still had two wonderful parents that loved me whether they were divorced or not. My parents would still be my stronghold no matter what. I thought there was no point in finding refuge in my problem. I decided to face the world and fight like I had never fought before. I wanted to be happy and enjoy life. Why would I want to miss out on all of the adventures life had for me?

Life can punish you, but it can also bless you with miracles. My parent’s divorce gave me a whole new perspective on the world. Everyday I see the world with optimism. I guess you can say that I am an optimistic person and I try not to let anything bring me down. Yes, there are always those days that life knocks me off of my feet, but I always find a way to get back up. I always think to myself, “Every cloud has a silver lining.” As cliché as it sounds, life is short. I don’t want the obstacles in my past to hold me back. I never want to live in my past. I want to live in my present and always hope for my future. In the end, it is my life and I love it.