America’s Heroes Should Be Honored

Ashley - Springdale, Arkansas

America’s Heroes Should Be Honored

After visiting the Ground Zero Memorial in New York City, and seeing all the policemen and firemen who lost their lives trying to save others, I believe that America’s heroes should be honored and remembered for their actions.

I believe not only those men and women should be honored and remembered, but our soldiers that are out fighting in Iraq for our country. They have to leave their families and loved ones behind, to go out in horrible conditions, and to fight for our freedom. I believe they should be honored because that takes a lot of bravery and courage, and some of those men and women don’t ever come home. What I’m trying to say is that some of them die for us, for our safety, and for our country’s freedom.

I also believe that our veterans should be remembered for what they did. Just like the soldiers fighting today, they had to leave their loved ones behind, knowing they might not be back. They also had to live with what they saw during war, which for some, would haunt them for the rest of their lives. Not only did the memories of war haunt them, but many also had to and still have to struggle with battle scars and live with them for the rest of their lives.

I believe that every-day heroes should also be honored and remembered for their actions. For example, the policemen who pull over speeding cars that could have crashed into innocent people, killing them or seriously injuring them, but they stop them usually before that happens. Firefighters are another example. They save people from fires, like when 9/11 happened. I believe all of these people should be honored and remembered, because without them, we wouldn’t be safe.

Since visiting the Ground Zero Memorial, it has really helped me realize that I believe America’s heroes should not only be honored, but remembered. If it wasn’t for the bravery and commitment of our soldiers, veterans, police officers, firefighters, paramedics, and every day heroes, America wouldn’t be like it is today.

This I believe.