Everything Happens For a Reason

Katie - Springdale, Arkansas

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Before the accident I was convinced that my dad was invincible, “Superman”. Now I know, more than ever, that nobody’s “Superman”. Not even the ones we love.

It was a Saturday; the whole family was planning a get-together that night. My mom, two little sisters, and I met my dad in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. He planned on going home and then meeting us at the party. He got on his motorcycle and drove off. We were in the store for about 45 minutes, yet it only took one for something terrible to happen. We got in the car and drove down the street to go to another store. We didn’t see anything, didn’t hear anything. We were in there for just a few minutes, when my dad called us. Or at least, his phone did.

It was a doctor from the hospital. They said my dad had been and ran-over by a car just outside the Wal-Mart parking lot. Outside the store we were just inside. They said he was alive. But he was really, really hurt. They didn’t know any specifics. We drove straight there, sat in a little room in the Emergency area, and waited for the rest of the family. When my sisters got there, they were bawling. I didn’t know whether to cry because it happened, or to be relieved because he wasn’t gone. So I did both. Cried because it was my dad going by on that stretcher, and felt relieved that my dad was still there. He had crushed pelvic bones, broken foot, broken knee again, nearly broke his neck (thank God he had his helmet on) a deep, deep cut in his side, and internal bleeding. We were there for what seemed like forever. When it was finally my turn to see him, I wondered if I really wanted to. To see him like that, to see him fresh out of an accident, in pain, bloody, whatever it may look like. But my mom said he really wanted to see me, to tell me it would all be okay himself, instead of someone else. I couldn’t stand to see him so hurt, so….un- invincible. He was flown about two hours out of state to a hospital where he would stay for a month. I went home with my little sisters and my brother. I stayed up until one in the morning just waiting to hear from my mom.

It hurt to think that, while I was inside shopping, my dad was laying in the road unconscious. But I realized that my dad isn’t invincible, and no matter how much I love him, he never will be. I thought he could walk away from anything with a few scratches and bruises. I realized that’s why it hurt so bad to see him like that. But then I realized that this wasn’t all an accident. Sure, the guy in the car didn’t just choose my dad to run over, but God always has a plan. Everything happens for a reason. This terrible accident has taught my dad to finally step away from the motorcycle. It’s shown him how many people it would hurt if, next time, it were fatal. It’s brought my family closer together, and shown us that when a family member needs our help, we’re there for them. That is why I believe everything happens for a reason.

This I believe.