Scarcity and the Lesson of Marigolds

Joseph - Laredo, Texas
Age Group: 65+

A marigold (Tagetes patula) flower, once it has bloomed and spent itself, begins to dry and shrink, and as it does it makes tiny black sliver-like seeds. The number of these seeds will vary, but if you open the dried pod that once was the flower and begin to count out the seeds, you will find fifty seeds or more.

Fifty seeds in one flower.

The marigold plant itself will produce, in a normal blooming season, at least fifty flowers — in a good year maybe twice as many. By the end of the season, these fifty flowers will make 2500 seeds.

Here is the miracle: each of these 2500 seeds will produce the following season not 2500 marigold flowers, but 2500 marigold plants…and these plants will produce fifty blooms each, or 125,000 flowers.

At the end of the third season, those 125,000 flowers will make 50 seeds each, or 6,250,000 seeds. These seeds will bring forth, a year later 6,250,000 marigold plants — yielding 312,500,000 flowers.

When the fourth season comes to a close, those 312.5 million flowers will have made 1,562,500,000 seeds. And so on into many future growing seasons, producing billions, trillions of marigold flowers in numbers so profuse as to be uncountable.

During times when we feel ourselves starting to believe there is scarcity in the world, it might be good to remember that the world itself, operating by the spiritual law of sacred multiplication, is abundant beyond calculation.

That is the lesson of marigolds.