The Magic Rub

Jennifer - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in the magic rub eraser. This eraser is phenomenal at erasing mistakes and allows people to easily correct their mistakes. I think every one should strive to live the magic rub life; and like the magic rub be able to erase or forgive their own and others mistakes. Being able to forgive oneself is the key to the magic rub life because if you cannot forgive yourself, then how can you possible learn to forgive others.

I came to my belief through a friend who demonstrated my belief by being so forgiving that in a sense she was a magic rub. We had never been friends before and I really hated her, but there we were sitting next to each other at lunch. I had been so terribly jealous and hated this girl so much, that I did some terrible things just to hurt her. Unfortunately I succeeded and really damaged her social life and reputation. Thankfully she had no idea that I did such terrible things to here. As the year went on, we became very close friends and my guilty conscious grew.

Finally after months of guilt I broke down and confessed that I was the one who had hurt her. Instead of getting angry and screaming at me, she just looked at me stunned. After moments of silence that seemed like eternity she spoke. “I do not care what you did to me; you are my friend and told me the truth. That is all that matters to me,” she replied lovingly.

For a long time I could not understand how she could forgive me. I came to realize that I could not understand her forgiveness because I could not forgive myself. I have asked myself how she acted with such maturity, because I know I would not have been able to forgive me that quickly if the situation was reversed. Now I understand why my friend was acting in such a way; she believed in the magic rub life. She understood that I was sorry and she would have wanted me to forgive her in the same way if she was in my position.

I came to understand my belief and I try to practice it everyday. I have realized that if she could forgive me, then I could certainly forgive others. Living the magic rub life is living a life free from grudges and guilt. It is about forgiving yourself and learning from your mistakes in order to help others erase their mistakes.