Be Kind no Matter What

Patrick - Marietta, Georgia

I believe everyone should be kind to others no matter what the circumstances are.

There are several billion people on Earth and most of them need help because they are in poverty, are being repressed, or have a variety of other problems. I am very fortunate to have been born into my family because we have only a few relatively small problems, so I feel it is my duty to help others as often as I can. I am not saying that to fulfill my philosophy, I have to eliminate poverty in the world, but it is important to perform any acts of kindness, no matter the size. Making someone smile is enough.

When I was a cub scout, I went to a day camp in the summer every year. We would play games and shoot arrows and do a variety of other fun activities. I recall one year, our leader brought bunch of kazoos for us to play on. We practiced several tunes and the next day, he said, “Today we are going to play for some senior citizens at a retirement home.” I remember that when we arrived that there were about forty elderly people sitting down waiting to hear us play. When they saw use their grins were about a mile long and you could hear a few chuckles here and there. As we played they laughed and hummed along, and I will always remember that joy we brought them. People should always be kind and go out of their way to be kind. We could have played Frisbee or do something else easily, but instead we made a lot of people happy which is all that matters.

I have developed this belief throughout the course of my life mostly on my own. When I was younger, my parents led me by example to be kink. As I grew, I learned more and more that the majority of the world is not as lucky as me. Now I often drive through downtown Atlanta and see many people that are unemployed and if I can do something nice for them, I do.

My actions are encouraged by the fact that I am a boy scout. In scouts, we recite at every meeting, “A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.” Most of the words in the Scout Law are directly related to being kind, it even says kind. Also the motto is: Do a good turn daily. I often use these aspects of Boy Scouts to help me make a decision.

I try to help anyone, despite who they are or their social status. I hold the door for people and do other things that may be small in my eyes but have a huge impact on someone else.

No matter who you are who the person is, what others will think, what you are doing, or how you feel, I believe that you should always be kind.