Music is Life

Jake - Marietta, Georgia

When most people think about the lives of musicians or band members, they only examine the visible features. Bands are viewed as talented performers that play or sing for their own glory and wealth. However, I have found that this is not true for composers and song writers. I think that music is an artist’s reflection on internal thoughts and feelings, just expressed in a musical way. Every note, every chord, and every lyric reveals their desires and struggles. I believe that music is what calms the musician’s spirit. It echoes their beliefs and provides an escape from the world’s anxiety. I believe that for a musician, music is life.

Becoming a musician myself has allowed me to understand the meaning behind songs and see the passion of the song writer. Because I wanted to be one of those “cool” band members myself, I started playing the bass guitar a couple years ago. At first, I always thought about how cool I looked or what people thought of my playing. To be honest, I liked the fact that I was in a band more than playing in the band. Because I was content with playing easy rhythms, I had become arrogant. I knew that my job was one of the easiest ways to be considered part of the musical group. My self-centered focus made me think that I had completed my journey of learning the bass, but in reality, I was just beginning.

Over the years, I learned that practice really is important and that there’s more to playing bass than just straight rhythms of songs. As my thoughts matured, I recognized that what I was doing was not good enough. I would have to become a better musician, but to do so, I needed to appreciate every word and sound. I would need to transform my view of music completely. After that change of mind, I began listening to music in a whole new way. As I listened, the notes came alive and spoke to my heart. I became very familiar with songs, and I started searching deeper into the lyrics to identify the true meaning. This allowed me to express my enthusiasm for music, a joy that I thought I had lost. My pride changed into passion for the music that I play.

I have learned from this experience that being a successful musician is not about making yourself look better than everyone else. It is exposing your deep feelings and playing for yourself, not the recognition of others. Music is all about expressing oneself. It is my reliever of stress, a refuge in time of trouble, and an oasis in the desert of confusion. As a musician, I know that music has more meaning than simply getting girls or becoming wealthy. Music is my everything.