Believe In Faith

Chelsie - Bangor, Maine

I would like to share with you something that I feel very strongly about, something that guides me through every second of my life. This something is “faith.” I believe in believing. It has taken me awhile to find the strength that having faith gives to me, and now that I have found it I am never turning back. If I had never stumbled upon this gift, I do not think that I would ever be able to continue as a nursing student, or in the future become a nurse. You may be asking “why?” and I am happy to share the answer with you.

The defining moment in which I first remember discovering the idea of “faith” and “belief” starts with a quote from the astounding writer and speaker, Maya Angelou. Ms. Angelou once said in a speech, many years ago, that it is horrible to see a young person go from “knowing nothing, to believing nothing”. When I heard these wise words my heart jumped. It was like that moment in a cartoon when a light bulb flashes over a characters forehead when they have a sudden realization. That was it. That was what I have been struggling with through my adolescent years. I was (and still am) ignorant to many things and have much to learn about life. Instead of having faith in myself, faith in others, and faith in my ability to experience life to the fullest, I was shutting down. I was becoming a cynic at 18 years of age. I had no belief system and never looked to the future. I wanted everything and I wanted it here and now. What was I searching for? I naively thought life was about instant gratification. But now I see differently. I see that life is about faith and believing in my self and believing in the goodness of others. You must believe that the good will prevail and the horrible will change.

This quality is crucial for those in the nursing field as well as all health professions. If someone in these fields did not have faith and did not believe, it would be a waste on everyone’s part. What would we be doing? If we did not truly BELIEVE we could help others, why would we start? Why would we invest so much of ourselves in helping people if we felt nothing would be accomplished? It is because we have faith that we can make a difference. We believe we can change people’s lives and bring hope and happiness to them. Holistic nursing care is not about just mending wounds and taking vitals. It is about giving people back their physical and spiritual strength, their faith, and their normal lives.

Faith and optimism are important in the nursing field. How else would we be able to carry out our duties to the fullest? The truth is that it would not be possible. That is what I believe. The question now is, do you believe?