“Art is an Instrument of War”

Jessica - Provo, Utah

“Art is an Instrument of War”

Ever since I can remember, I have loved art. I would beg my mother to draw with me at age 4. In second grade I created a moving oil pastel picture of a group of children breaking a piñata. My mother knew then that I would be an artist.

In my early years of school I thought that art was the ability to create something realistic because that was always what I was complemented on. Then in 5th grade we did a perspective drawing of a city. Our teacher told us to be creative and make it creative. So I added helicopters, blimps, a robbery, and a huge inflated baker on top of a bakery building. My teacher was so impressed that she recommended me to a magnet school that focused on art. So then I though art was anything realistic with some creativity in it.

The art school was very exciting and I learned a lot about art but I still stuck to my idea that art was creating realist things with a spark of creativity. I would hate it when my pots on the potter’s wheel would become lopsided or distorted. I didn’t understand the abstract art that was shown in class and simple stated t5he I didn’t like it. Soon I started to attend an art high school. The classes were rigorously time consuming and it seemed like all the due dates for things were too soon to make anything perfect. I started doing more abstract things then, because in my opinion it was easier. Soon I came to believe the art was anything that got good grades.

I decided to sign up for the free community college classes program for my junior and senior years of high school. I took a few art classes and I came to believe that art was anything that attracted the eye. I graduated high school with some college credits and got into BYU Utah. I got into the art program. I started to think that there was something more to art. I knew that art had to mean something because why would people buy cans of poop from the artist Piero Manzoni and consider it art? Then I read a quote from Picasso “No, painting is not done to decorate apartments. It is an instrument of war.” Art is made to defend something or fight against something. If it doesn’t do one of these two things it isn’t art. I have defined art as an instrument of war ever since.