Never Never Land

Andrea - Blacksburg, Virginia
Themes: children

Growing up is inevitable, or so they say. In my opinion, growing up is far more than simply getting older and wiser. We don’t have to act grown up at all times. Ever since I can remember, I’ve always acted like I’m seven years old. When I wake up in the morning, I’m ready to go out into the world and have fun. If a task isn’t fun, I find a way to make it fun. When people age, we become more serious, which I believe is boring. I believe in my inner child, who is never serious at all. I believe in having fun with everything in life. I believe in never growing up.

I’m pretty sure everyone screamed in fear for their mom or dad when they lost them in Wal-Mart when they were little. Well, I still do. It helps me find them when they yell back, “What, Andrea?! I’m right here!” As much as they hate it, I find humor in knowing I still embarrass my parents.

I’ve never been the type of person who tells others to grow up. In fact, I believe the exact opposite. Never grow up. Never let your years make you boring. Just because we are getting older and journeying toward a working life after college does not mean that we have to be serious all the time. As a lifeguard during the summer, I enjoy drenching the kids with my bright yellow super soaker while on duty, a childish way to get the kids to like me. I’ve always loved to laugh and make others laugh. I guarantee the person that you always see laughing sleeps better at night than the person you have yet to see crack a smile.

I hate to admit that I’m afraid of the dark. I remember being little and worrying that someone was going to get me once the lights went out. These days, when I get out of my car at night, I always feel like someone is watching me. I tend to say, “Good thing I got my concealed weapons permit!” or something along those lines so that I can scare off anyone who might be lurking. Once I’m inside and safe, I tend to chuckle at myself for being such a chicken. I’m sure if someone ever is there, they’ll think I’m completely insane for talking to myself. Most people grow out of being afraid of the dark, but I still haven’t. It’s one of the many ways I’m still a little kid, although I wish I was braver.

Unfortunately, the process of growing up cannot be stopped. We all get older, mature, and someday become adults. Although getting older is beyond my control, I will always be a little kid at heart. Having fun will always be my number one priority and I will always find sheer joy out of life’s simple pleasures such as bringing fresh picked flowers to my mother. I believe life’s obstacles are merely an obstacle course that you’re supposed to have fun figuring out. I believe in laughing for no reason at all. I believe in never never land. I believe in never growing up.