Believing in God

Heather - Flemingsburg, Kentucky

Believing in God

The peer pressure as a teenager, young adult, and even a wife and mother has made believing in God not always an easy task.

Every Sunday morning my dad would gently wake me up and let me know that it was time to go to church. The smell of coffee, toast, and sugary oatmeal would fill my senses as I entered the kitchen. I would put on my lacy dress and my shiny shoes, and as my mom would curl and fix my hair she would tell me stories of the Bible that would take me out of this world.

Noah’s Ark is the one story that made me know that God is real, and believing in him could change my life.

As the story goes, Noah was asked by God to build an ark big enough for two of everything. People would laugh at him, and tell him he was crazy for believing in someone he could not see. Noah questioned God, and himself. He finished the ark and loaded up every animal by twos. It rained for forty days and forty nights. Noah then knew that God’s plan for him was to show others that he did indeed exist. He never questioned God again and was loyal to him every day after that.

When I was asked to go to the roller skating rink, or the mall I had to tell my friends that I had to go to church instead. The kids around me would laugh. I questioned myself every day at school, thinking to myself, “Wouldn’t life be easier if I could make my own choices?” I sometimes felt that if God was real, why would he let me suffer in school?

I remember a girl in my class her name was Sophia. She was pretty and popular, and all the other kids would assemble around her. I constantly tried to become her friend , but she always said that she couldn’t be friends with me because she didn’t want anyone to shun her, or make fun of her the way they did all of us that went to church. She would always make unpleasant comments behind me at the lunch line, or whisper to her friend as I walked by. One day I got a hall pass for the restroom and there she was crying her eyes out. I just passed her up, didn’t ask if she was ok or anything. I figured she got what she deserved; all the laughing and whispering had come back to her full fold. When my mom heard me talking to a friend about what I had seen, she was very disappointed. It was then that I was told that I should love thy neighbor as I would want to be loved. The next day at school I asked her if she was ok, and told her that I would be there for her if she ever needed to talk. To my surprise I actually felt better than I did thinking that she got what was coming to her. I knew that God was happy with me for being a friend, and never giving up on him.