i Believe in Having Great Friends

Gemrick - Sugar Land, Texas

I Believe in Having Great Friends

I believe that having great friends is better than having party friends. I’ve recently learned the hard way that the friends I’ve know the longest are the ones that will really always be there to look out for me. My party friends are only there to have fun and live in the moment – no matter what. I’ve known almost all of my good friends since grade school. We’ve known each other for so long; some have already invited me to their future wedding! One of the things I really love about that is it’s my own little group of people who are best friends with each other. No matter how much time has passed, I never get tired of talking to them about whatever’s on my mind. I completely trust them, and I know they will always be there.

“Party friends” are the people I hang out with whenever I’m up to just have a good time. They aren’t the ones to watch out for me. They aren’t the ones who know my personality well enough to understand why I do the things I do. They aren’t even the ones who understand what I’m trying to say. Maybe it’s the freshness of the acquaintance, but I don’t exactly mesh well with them enough for it to be more than that.

I made the mistake of trusting some people when I really didn’t know them that well. It’s unbelievable that I conceded to their hazing, and being manipulated just so I could be their “friend.” I had drinks thinking it was so cool to be part of it all, and I made mistakes. Drama was always prominent wherever they were around. One of them blasted me and it was so loud that people stopped to watch us argue. Another manipulated his own friends to turn against me. They did things that were stupid and would get themselves into trouble. I’m glad that I never made the decision to try drugs, marijuana, or anything else.

I believe that a true friendship doesn’t originate from any of those things. I’m glad I made the right choices. I’m glad that my real friends will always be there for me no matter what mistakes I’ve made.