Life’s Moment

Andrew - Kingwood, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in the power of living life for the moment.

A few days ago I made a horrifying discovery on my new cell phone. I came across my cell phone’s total lifetime call timer; it read seventy-one hours and thirty-two minutes. Even though this might seem minute, for me it was the very thought that I’ve wasted that much of my life on my cell phone. It was not only a slap to the face, it was a personal reminder of what is really important.

I know this is just another one of life’s many lessons, learned through experience. Life is the greatest teacher I have ever known. Each day offers me opportunities to learn something new about the world around me. My friends and family would all tell you that I tend to be very outspoken in my views. Nevertheless, choosing to live my life in the now has caused me to go through many painful internal struggles in order to be where I am today. But looking back, these were also the most rewarding feats I have ever accomplished.

I believe that living life is like walking a tightrope. During a circus performance, the tightrope walkers have their attention focused on being able to balance at every moment. They have no use focusing on where they have already been—they can only try and anticipate what will lie ahead. In this same way, living each moment for what it’s worth can help us achieve balance in our lives. It wasn’t until my freshman year in college that I realized this. This realization came just after spending a good portion of my teenage years being chained to my past, keeping me from the true freedom I desperately desired.

I have noticed that many of us also find ourselves in these situations. One of life’s great ironies is that as children we rush through our youth, because we desire nothing more than to be grown up. Then, once we reach adulthood we long for our youth again, and in the process miss what is happening right in front of us.

A woman once told me, “Andrew, the only place you can be in your life, is where you are right now.” I have wasted many moments trying to be somewhere other than where I was at that time and place in life. And really, how can you know where you want to be in the future if you are missing out on the present?

Life is an amazing thing if you can learn from your past, live in the now, and hope for a better tomorrow. We are given so many moments in life, but we only control the present. So don’t let the present become lost to the past. It’s your life, it’s your moment, start living it.