My Soul Mate

Robert - YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio

Belief is simply our lifestyle. It is what keeps everyone living each day. People have many beliefs. My strongest belief is soul mates. Each and every human being has a soul mate. It may take years after school to find them. It just so happens I found mine early.

When I went to high school, I was a freshmen and my older sister Jaime was a senior. We didn’t get along like best friends but we were pretty neutral. A year went by and I became a sophomore and she went off to college. That’s when we really had problems.

As I was in my sophomore year, I had two friends, boy and a girl. One was an old friend from my childhood. She started coming around because her mom and my mom talked and hung out sometimes. Well I would be with my other friend a lot of the time. With being around him a lot and my childhood friend, they saw and liked each other. I thought it would be great if they dated. And so they did.

It was time for homecoming (2006). My two friends and I went to the dance in a little group. As we were at the dance, the girl I was dancing with left me to talk and dance with her friends. So I was there dancing solo, probably looking like a dork. There was a girl and her date that came with us in our group. She saw that I was dancing alone. She felt bad and wanted to dance with me but she didn’t want to leave her date. Her name was Ashley.

We all took a break from dancing to eat and use the restrooms. We gathered at the table then left for the restroom. Ashley and her date started to go and my friends and I followed. My friends and I got held up to talk to people. I called Ashley’s name to let her know we stopped. She couldn’t hear me and kept walking. She finally realized we weren’t behind her and so she looked back. At that moment we locked eyes. I felt so warm and calm for some reason. I knew then that I wanted to be with her.

We saw each other once after that night and then it was time to meet the parents! They were really nice and down to earth. Her brothers were smart and funny. Our families were alike in many ways. We knew we wouldn’t have too many differences between our families.

Ashley has really helped me through many problems with my family and my bad habits and I have gotten her through some hard times. She has shown me the mature way to handle life situations. I believe God sent her, my soul mate, to do what God created His children to do. I’m a senior in high school and we just came up on our 2 year anniversary. We have many plans for the future and we show no sign of giving up.