Everybody Needs a Passion

Alexander - missouri city, Texas

Everybody Needs a Passion

To live life without passion, zest, self-investment, or commitment is to not live at all. I have learned that these vital aspects of my life have developed due to a small, yet significant, event in my childhood.

I remember sitting in the cafeteria of my cozy elementary school, in the midst of a sea of babbling and effervescent 5th graders. It was time for the 5th grade talent show, and we were all more excited to be out of our classrooms than we were to see the performers. That changed for me once Arvin entered the stage, timidly taking a bow before seating himself on the piano bench. None of my friends or I knew Arvin very well, and we didn’t know what to expect from his act. However, when Arvin began to play Turkish March, I felt a connection between his music and me. This connection was just as strong as the bond I felt with my closest friends. I sat on the glossy wood floor for nearly 5 minutes, completely captivated by the music he played with such finesse and ease. After Arvin ended the song, the rest of the student body clapped wildly, because it was obvious that Arvin was a fantastic player. I, on the other hand was more silent and reflective than those around me because Arvin had revealed something to me. I wanted to have the ability to sit down at an instrument and send out the same overwhelming, absolving, and intense wave of sound that I had just been enthralled by. So, I purchased my very own 60-key Roland keyboard and, in doing so, kindled a thriving hobby that I soon realized that I was very passionate about. I found that by sitting down by my piano, I had a life separate from the one I lived at school. I had a place that I could be alone and nourish my intellectual and musical persona. I had a way to express myself beyond the alphabet’s limitations; I had expanded my vocabulary to include 88 keys of a piano. Instead of sitting in front a television, like most kids did, I honed my skills and began to become a competent player. With the technical ability that I had developed and the creativity I had discovered within myself, I was able to begin creating my own music. With a repertoire of originals songs and many well-known pop, rock, and classical pieces, I began to play in front of people more often. Although I was always reluctant to start playing, once I had begun, it was hard to stop. Throughout high school life, I have played piano, surrounded by my closest friends and family, and felt as if I was a hearth on a cold winter’s night, my friends feeding off my musical warmth and energy. Once I started playing in front of more people, I realized that I have come full circle. More than 5 years ago, I sat on the cold floor of my elementary school cafeteria, inspired by the musings of another, but today I can be found on rock venue’s stage with my 88-key Roland G8 Workstation sharing my music with hundreds of people.

Although I’ve invested a lot of time and money into my musical pursuits, being able to meet people who see so much in my future or even meeting kids who wish to aspire to what I have achieved makes it all well worth it. I truly believe that this passion I hold has taught me to commit to something continually, devote time for self-investment, and to believe in myself. I also believe that all hobbies that help develop positive characteristics are essential to living a gratifying life. Reading, dance, art, whatever it might be, a hobby that you are passionate about can be the benefactor that allows you to enjoy a satisfying life. In all, I believe that devoting time to what you are passionate about is essential to living a fulfilling existence.