I Believe People Should Try New Things

Eric - Missouri City, Texas

The other day when I arrived at school, I was approached by a friend of mine named Tyler. He was handing out little pink pieces of paper. They were invitations to the first Young Life meeting of the year. I had heard of Young Life before, since many of my friends already attend the club meetings. Many of them even went to camp in Colorado last summer for it. They all told me that the club is lots of fun and they told me to come to the meetings but I was not sure I that I wanted to go.

My main reason for not going was that I never had enough time to go last year. I always had baseball games or practice, or a test to study for. I was always so caught up in all of the stress involved in school that the thought of wasting an hour of free time going to some meeting sounded ridiculous to me. I had the image in my head of being in church for another hour during the week, bored out of my mind.

This year my girlfriend, also named Tyler, got one of those little pink invitations too. She asked me if I got one and I told her that I had but I did not think that I wanted to go. She begged me to take her because she really wanted to go and try something new. So I decided that I could get all of my homework done early and go to the meeting with Tyler.

Once Tyler and I got to the meeting we were immediately welcomed by my friends Tyler and Cody. More and more people began to arrive. They all seemed excited about the meeting. We all waited outside while the leaders of the club were inside preparing for us to come inside. I still was not sure if I was going to like it. It was time to go inside and I could hear people inside playing music and the lights were flashing.

It was nothing like I had expected. Once we were all inside we started to sing songs at the top of our lungs. It was the first time I had ever seen some of my friends sing. We played games after we sang. All of the games got people to get to know each other and helped to break the ice for new members. We watched a skit featuring a scene at a fictional restaurant called “Wechewforyou” where the waiters chewed the food for its customers. The people in the skit actually ate the pre-chewed food right out of the fake waiter’s mouth!

Finally it came time for the message about Jesus. Doug, the leader told us a story about the difference between miracle whip and mayonnaise. He told us that Jesus was the real thing like mayonnaise not the fake stuff like miracle whip. He said that God came down to earth and put on skin. He said that Jesus is God. The way that Doug explained it to me made me think about my religion in a whole new way that I never thought of before. After leaving that night, I had a whole new outlook on life.

I believe that everyone should try new things. If you only restrict yourself to a certain group of friends you are missing out on so much more. Just showing up to the meeting changed the way I think about my God. If I had stayed at home that night I would have missed out on something very special. If everyone just tried new things with an open mind, I believe the world would be a happier place.