The Power of Love

Heather - Bangor, Maine

I believe in the power of love. Not the kind of love that you share with a significant other or a close family member, though I don’t deny its power either. I am talking about the kind of love you feel for a stranger who has fallen on hard times or the kind of love you feel for the woman down the street from you who just found out she has breast cancer. This kind of love is worthless without showing and sharing that love, whether it is playing cards with a lonely elderly neighbor or holding the hand of a dying patient.

Christmas has long been my favorite holiday. All the beautiful lights and decorations, family joy, and homemade food make the Christmas season wonderful. However, the year I was nine, I could not share in the festivities the holiday season had to offer, because I was sick. My family did the best they could to help me to feel better. My mother fed me hot food and kept me warm and my father rented all of my favorite movies, but I was miserable and Christmas Day was fast approaching.

It was Christmas morning and I awoke to a gentle shake and a soft whisper of my name from my father. It didn’t immediately hit me, but as I woke I had a great feeling of relief. There was no sour stomach, no headache, and no sick feeling. At the time I thought it must have been a Christmas miracle, but later, as I was dancing around the Christmas tree, I learned that my brother wrote a letter to Santa. This letter to Santa contained only one request; that his little sister would be well for Christmas. This is what love is about, I thought. My brother wasted all of his Christmas wishes on me.

Since then, I had always tried to do things that made someone’s day brighter. I did small things like helping someone into their house with their groceries to larger things such as aiding a man with heat stroke. I became a massage therapist to help people who have had surgery or an accident. It wasn’t until after I had become a Massage Therapist that I would again experience the kind of love my brother had shown me. It wasn’t first hand, but it moved me all the same.

I watched a video about several individuals and a husband and wife who transformed a transportation type of bus into a traveling medical center. Every one of the people who work on the bus has a medical degree, from nurses to dentists. Together, they go around to poorer areas and provide medical care for low or no cost to people who cannot afford it otherwise. It was when I witnessed this wonderful act of love that I realized I had much love to give. It is because of this that I decided to be a nurse, as nurses love wholly and unconditionally.