anju - missouri city, Texas

Until now, when I heard the term karma, my mind immediately associated it with superstition: magic, voodoo and the little black cat that causes bad luck. If you had asked me then if I believed in karma I would have confidently said ‘no’. As of Today I have been on this earth for sixteen years, a few years as teen, twelve as a sister and sixteen as a daughter. My experiences within these few years allow me to confidently say that I believe in karma.

I was born in the state of Kerala in India but was raised in the United States; my parents were both born and raised in Kerala. They were raised with different principles that they tried to instill on me. Since I mingled with different people of different cultures in America, my ideas were rather far away from those of my parents. As you can imagine, conservative Indian parents and a liberal daughter are as compatible as fire and gunpowder. Arguments, clashes and door slamming were a daily routine in my home, but grudges weren’t held long. As with many first born, I usually ended up causing most of the fights, earning me a free ticket to my mom’s advice sessions. One of my mom’s favorite topics is karma; she would say “remember this: when you have a child and he or she speaks to you rudely, you’ll remember me and those horrible curses that you uttered”.

“Do unto others as I have unto you” is a famous biblical quote that adequately describes the concept of karma. This is what my mom repeated to me, over and over. How do I now karma exists? My mom’s predictions are slowly coming true. I don’t have a child yet, I’ve felt a small ratio of the pain that my parents went through every time I disobeyed, disowned or offended them. My brother is my baby. To me he is someone I brought up, and grew up with; my best friend, an innocent and faithful supporter in my time of need. That’s how it used to be when he wasn’t a teen. But today, our daily behavior toward each other would never hint that we even tolerated each other, let alone loved each other.

Today he is almost twelve years old. His teenage rage has completely kicked in. It maybe his “middle school effect” or just an act, but every back answer, every nasty glare filled with anger and resentment stabs a hole in my heart. Then my mom’s quote comes into mind “you’ll remember me and those horrible curses that you uttered”. I look back at every curse that I muttered, every argument that I had, and every spiteful look I gave my parents, just wishing that I could take it back; because now I know that ‘karma bites’.

I am living proof of this statement. I have wronged others, especially my parents, and now I am paying the price .I know that those who have wronged me will get their fair share of punishment. It does not matter who you are or where you are, you will pay for your actions, good and bad. It literally helps me sleep at night knowing that everyone will “reap what they sow” and that’s enough for me.