Gods Plan

Paige - Missouri City, Texas

God’s Plan

On September 22 1987, my older brother came into this world. My father was extremely ecstatic and what man would not be? His first child was not only a boy but a bouncing ten pound perfect infant. My father did not realize at the time that the size of his son would be a problem in his future. My father did not anticipate this but God did. I believe that when you are conceived God has already planned your path in life. He may allow you to stray but will bring you back to righteousness if faith is in your heart.

My brother lived an ordinarily happy life for most of his adolescent years. His size was still a positive factor in his life. He was always the taller one in his class and he excelled in sports. We did not realize that his health was at risk but God did. A terrifying heart condition was detected at a random sport physical. Months went by filled with Cardiologist appointments, visits to the hospital and too many tests to recall. I remember the shock that rippled through my family as we grasped the reality that because of his size and rapid continuous growth that he might have outgrown his aorta. The other diagnosis was a possible hole in the underside of his heart. My family was terrified and had relied on our faith for strength. We were scared but God was in charge. God knew that my brother’s future would be rocky and that the chance to make himself real to him was then. Miraculously my brother’s condition disappeared. One doctor could not explain it, another was dumfounded but only one cardiologist explained it to us perfectly. He diagnosed it as a miracle, just the way God has planned it.

I would have hoped that miracle would lead my brother to only sacred situations, but in turn, led him to believe he was invincible. Once again his size became a problem. Large and muscularly built, he soon held the not so prestigious title of the guy with the hands, also known as the one to call to help out with a fight. This would, of course, lead to trouble. No one at the time realized the pain and suffering we would go through as a family for the next four years. I would find myself lying in bed crying, for I would be planning my brother’s funeral. I missed and grieved the brother I once had. We prayed constantly for his rehab. I no longer visited him in the hospital but now visited him in jail. We prayed for strength and our prayers were answered. Every time we felt we were at the end of our rope, God filled us with patience and love. God was not worried, for he held my brothers future in his hands. I believe God had to allow these events to transpire to alter my brother into the man God intended him to be.

My intention in reliving this time in my life is to hopefully share some inspiration to others. Just as I believed God had planned it, my brother has transpired into a reliable and respected adult. He is a superb employee at his work and will be graduating from the University of Houston. I can sleep at night now and not cry. I can depend on him and not be disappointed. Most importantly I have my big brother back just as God had planned.