Benig the best you can be for Someone Else

Joshua - Missouri City, Texas

I plan on being the best I could possibly be, which I’m sure is no less than extraordinary. I also plan on doing whatever it is that I am best at to change the world in a significant way. I think that will be achieved when I affect other peoples’ lives for good.

It may seem far-fetched, but I really do believe every person has the ability to do something amazing in their lifetime. When I say amazing, I don’t necessarily mean a million dollars in the bank or fame in all seven continents, but being able to help one another in a positive way. Many people don’t realize this, but one of the single greatest things someone can do is change another person’s life for the better. Be it one or one million, everyone should affect other people’s lives. If everyone helped the next person, how great do you think this world would be?

When I think of this, I am reminded of the little boy who was handing out gospel tracks on a rainy day. He was soaking wet and was down to his last track. Instead of going home, he went to a house and knocked on the door. Nothing happened. He repeated this many times before he turned around and decided to go. But something made him go back and continue knocking. He kept going at it and after a while an old lady opened the door. The lady looked so depressed, but the little boy smiled and told her “Jesus loves you” and then he left. That boy would later find out that that woman was going to commit suicide if only the boy didn’t show up and show the joy that he did. Now, that’s amazing.

I am actually aware that not everybody is going to be a cute little boy smiling in the rain when a person wants to kill themselves. So what is everyone else to do? I believe that I would be most affective if I went to college and got a degree in business and IT. I want to own a business that makes electronics that make it easier for people to live. Another person may want to become a firefighter and save lives.

The question of how success is supposed to be measured is always asked if not verbally then in the back of the mind. Some people think of having power, a lot more money than they need, or just a car and a house. I believe a person is successful when they have affected another life in a positive way enough to be happy with themselves and have God be happy with them. I am reminded of Uncle Ben who said that “with great power comes great responsibility”. I believe that I and all the other human beings on this earth have the ability to do something great, so I’m pretty sure that it’s time for me to do my part and take responsibility.