You Can Make a Difference

Amy - Kansas City, Missouri

Every day, we, as individuals, do not understand the importance of our actions and how they can influence someone else’s life. We tend to be so self-absorbed with ourselves that we almost forget how to be human.

Have you ever noticed that when you are having a terrible day, a smile from a perfect stranger can make your day? There have been so many instances when I felt like everything was going wrong and I’m so absorbed into myself that I cannot see what’s going on around me, and suddenly a stranger will walk by and give me a genuine smile. It reminds me that life is good. We don’t realize that our actions influence those around us.

I personally try to do one good deed a day, if not more than one. I know deep down that even though I’m just one person, I can make a difference. And I’d like to believe that I can single-handedly make a difference in another’s life.

There was one cold day, and Winter had just arrived. I was heading home from work and I happened to see a woman alone in a park. My emotions overwhelmed me and I knew that I had to do something; I wasn’t sure what, but I knew I must do what I could to make a difference in this stranger’s life. I pulled my car over, went to the trunk of my car and took out a blanket. I walked over to the woman who was obviously homeless, gave her that blanket, and gave her all the money that I had. The smile that took over her young but tattered face made my day. I could see it in her eyes, she was grateful that I had taken time to help her. That small action had a big impact.

There is so much turmoil in today’s society. So much sadness, so much pain and sorrow. We need to stand back and take a long hard look at one another and make that change. Help your neighbor. Give what you have to a stranger. Hug your children; make sure they know how beautiful they are to you and just how much they mean to you. Give money to the homeless; better yet, give a warm blanket and a cheeseburger. Smile at a stranger. You could be saving a life. Tell your Husband just how much he means to you. You think he already knows, but a sweet reminder could make his day. Call an old friend just to see how she is and let her know you thought about her.

It’s the little things in life, all the little things that as people we tend to overlook. We are too busy to call our Parents and say hello, too busy to stop and smell the roses. Life is good. No matter how bad you think you have it, there is always someone else that has it worse. And that’s the truth.

And most importantly, love one another. Love is one of the most powerful emotions out there. Say it more, show it more. And you shall receive it more. Take time. Time is also very powerful. Life is too short. Do these while you still can, because tomorrow may not come.

This I believe.