Losing Makes Us Winners

Kevin - Missouri City, Texas

Losing makes us Winners

Stress, distraught, and glaring down at the floor concentrating on a precise spec of dirt, hoping no one notices you. This is what you do when you lose, isn’t it? Well, it’s what I do when I lose. Well, what I used to do at least, and you’ve probably done the same thing at one point or another in your life. Well, we all do, we are all the same. You’ve never met a person cheers when they lose, have you? Not at first, but eventually they will win, and they can cheer because they’ve finally done it. They have won.

Everyone has lost, and everyone has won. Generally the rule is that it happens in that order. First you lose, and then you win. You must crawl before you can walk. You must walk before you can run. You must fall down before you can get back up. You must scribble before you can draw. You must run into the door before you can open it. You must lose before you win, and that is what I believe.

I wasn’t always one of the sharpest tools in the shed. I used to forget to do my homework, forget to read the book my teacher told me to, and forget to study for tests. I used to bomb quizzes, tests, or even just daily assignments. That was before I figured out how the system works. We all go through this stage, at one point or another. I figured out how the system worked in the fourth grade. It just clicked, “click.” I saw the world in an entirely different perspective. I learned what I was supposed to do and I did it. Ever since then I have maintained “high” grades. They might not be as high as I would like them to be, or as high as the people in my class. I know that there are more people below me than above me, and that is OK. They people below me figured out how the system worked later than I did, and aren’t far behind. However, some people haven’t figured out how the system works. Others choose to ignore it.

Only you can choose when you stop losing, and when to start winning. When that choice occurs determines where you end up in life. If you understand that losing comes before winning, you can learn from your mistakes. Only learning from your mistakes will teach you how to win.