Life Goes On

Eddie - Glendale, Arizona

In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on. There is no slowing down or putting it on pause. Life goes on, with or without us, and we have to choose whether or not to follow. I could spend my time dwelling on the negatives and failures of my life or push through it, knowing there will be better days. I have learned that if I choose to focus on the bad times, it does not make me feel better during the present. A simple theory, yet I believe to be very true. I believe that even though we experience really bad things during our life, it goes on, and will only get better.

Some may find this story childish, but it has worked for me till now. It’s a story of a video game I usually play with my friends, a football game called Madden 09. I was playing with a friend and was dominant in the first half of the game leading 24 to 13. I was so confident that I tried to score before the two minute warning. I started passing the ball so much I had it intercepted, and my opponent returned it back for the touchdown. After that play, I let it get to my head so much that I was down 31-34 with a minute and a half to go in regulation. I realized that since I was paying so much attention to that one play, it had affected the rest of my game plan to the point where I was losing the game. I lost the game but gained something instead. I learned that focusing on the bad does not better anything. I decided that I have to move on from the negatives of life and not always look back.

People get frustrated at tax income, or become very upset at their boyfriends or girlfriends cheating on them, or are saddened because of a family member passing away. These things are ordinary in life and are almost certain. There is no stopping them, but I certainly don’t let them stop me from living my life. Six months ago, I was standing up at my friend’s wedding. I was excited because all my friends and family were going to attend. The limo I was in, with the groom’s best men, arrived at the chapel first. We were way ahead of schedule so we were just waiting, cracking jokes back and forth when one of us asked, ”Hey, where’s the groom?” We walked around the corner, and saw that he was being arrested on his wedding day. It was one of the most awful things I have witnessed, and it left both families in dread. The groom was bailed out a day later, and the couple hasn’t spoken since. It was honestly a sad time, but we all got past it. I talked to the groom about the wedding three months after asking him what he thought of that one day. He laughed and said, “Ed, I just know that everything happens for the better.” It shocked me for an instant. Then, I thought about it and understood what he meant.

I believe life goes on. So far in my life, it has worked. Everything has happened for the better and I do not regret anything. I have always kept my head up even during the most embarrassing and awful times, knowing that in just a few hours or days, I will be looking back at it laughing. Moving on is just one of the things most people must learn in life, and we learn it from very personal experiences or just by playing video games with friends.