Everyone Can

Danilo - North Olmsted, Ohio
Themes: family, work

“Life grants nothing to us mortals without hard work” (Horace). My father exemplifies this quote perfectly. My father was born in Italy and moved to the United State as a six year old. He didn’t know any English at all, but that didn’t stop him from trying to become the best he could be. He worked extremely hard throughout grade school trying to catch up with kids his own age, and he finally did. My father would come home from school and help do yard work and other labor until dinner and six o’clock. He then study from about seven until ten every night. He graduated with about a C+ average, not bad for a child whose parents never completed the sixth grade. From high school, he went from job to job, not really knowing what he wanted to do. His only qualifications, an understanding of construction and a work ethic unlike any other, both passed down from his father. He was given a job at a cement company as a laborer, nothing more than a concrete raker. Nineteen years later he is now a superintendent of one of the biggest concrete companies in the United States. You can do whatever you put your mind to with a great work ethic.

Just like my Nonno passed his work ethic to my father, my father has passed his to me. I have been doing work around the house with my dad for years, and his work ethic is contagious, it makes you want to work as hard as he does. He has always told me that if I am going to do something then I should commit to it one hundred percent. It was difficult at first to give it one hundred percent all the time, but after awhile it was second nature. He used to give me little jobs around the house, such as wash the dirt and rocks off of the driveway or rake the leaves, and if it wasn’t up to his standards I would have to do it again. I learned very quickly that I should just do my work right the first time, so I don’t have to do it twice. I have succeeded in many aspects of my life including school, sports, and work because of my father and what he has taught me. I am an honor roll student, an Honors Diploma, Presidential Award of Excellence, and Ohio Award of Merit recipient. In sports I was a six time lettermen in track and football, and my name is all over the weightroom at my school for various records. At work I became a floor supervisor within a year of me being hired. I was in charge of kids that had taught me how to do my job just because I worked harder than they did.

The best part about my belief is that anyone can put it into action. You don’t have to be a good student, a world class athlete, or a millionaire, but if you are a hard worker you can become anything. If you are a hard worker the sky is the limit. All I did was do what I was supposed to, I gave it my all every time I did something and I couldn’t imagine where I would be right now if I didn’t.