A New Beginning

Brian - Monroeville, Ohio

A New Beginning

A new beginning is like walking through a door, what is on the other side is unknown but will still be a fresh and new start to do something great. For me, my door was BGSU, walking through it meant starting over, and a chance to forget the things I had done before, and to make my family proud. High school was great for me, I was a great athlete and made a huge impact on the fields and in the classroom, but had made too many bad decisions, and got in trouble too much for the type of student/athlete I was. These bad decisions really hurt my family, and especially not finishing the last twenty days of my senior year was the worst one. I pulled a prank on one of my friends and got in big trouble and almost got expelled. That is why it is so important to me, to be the first person in my family, to go to college, start over, move on in life, and open a closed door to a new beginning.

It all began when I started my senior year and I thought I was invincible and I could do anything I wanted. I ruled the school, everyone knew and respected that. I was doing things, making bad decisions, pulling pranks, and got in trouble but still didn’t bother me. I was disrespectful to teachers by, using my cell phone, writing all the bathroom stalls, and putting on girls’ bathing suits. My athletic director could not figure me out; therefore we talked twenty or more times throughout the year, and I understood and knew what he was saying, but just kept doing the same things. The worst thing I did was two days before prom and after the school bell rang I mooned the principle and they suspended me for the last 20 days of school with a recommendation for expulsion. That really hit my family hard and I came to the conclusion I needed professional help. This was the last thing that I was going to do to hurt my family, so I went, and got help from a psychologist. I went four times, I didn’t feel any different, she didn’t know what my problem was, and I just made stupid decisions. So I apologized to everyone I had hurt, family, friends, school, the community, and told everyone I would make something of myself, and make them proud to associate with me. That made me realize how many people supported me, and they were all behind me for taking a step through that closed door. So with all this, I am such a strong believer of new beginnings, anyone can walk through that door at anytime and start over.

Today I am a freshman at BGSU majoring in Construction Management and Technology and love it, I am making better choices with things I do, and I am not making bad decisions. I am motivated to better myself through a higher education and to make everyone supporting me proud. So to everyone that has disappointed people in their lives or wants to start over in their life, open that closed door to a new beginning, and get motivated to do something great!