Death of a friend

Andrea - Broadview heights, Ohio

This I believe essay

The week of senior prom is supposed to be the greatest week of a students senior year. Girls buying their dress, and guy being dragged along to find the matching purse. Every year the SAAD group performs a mock car crash to witness what happens when you drink and drive. We all sat in the stands and watched the performance, chatting about how unrealistic the situation was and how it could never happen in Brecksville. We would all soon be proven very wrong.

It was May 16th 2008, the day before prom. I went to school and was thrilled for our senior cook out and party during lunch. Second period rolled around when my best friend ran up to me in the hall crying and said that she had not heard from her boyfriend. I knew it was unlike him to call her, but he had left voicemails that were hard to understand. Minutes later we heard that there had been a car accident in the metro parks and that someone had died. We sprinted to the office calling every hospital in the area trying to get some form of information. About twenty minutes later our principle had walked into the room and said words that I will never forget. Dan passed away in a car accident last night and the others are in serious condition. I was completely numb holding onto my friend telling her that her boyfriend was going to make it. I had to call every one of my friends down to the office and tell them what happened. Soon the mock car crash that we had thought was a joke soon became more real than I could believe.

Dan didn’t think that driving his friends to taco bell after drinking a couple of beers would be the last thing he would ever do. Now, I believe that you need to treat each day as if it were your last. He was only nineteen years of age with his whole life still ahead of him. He was popular in school, going to college, top of his class, and in many sports. I will never forget my senior prom because I spent seventy five percent of my weekend in a church, with thousands of people who came to say goodbye to our friend who died so young. Young people always believe that they have their whole lives ahead of them, but we never believe that our lives could end just as short as his.