I Believe in Keeping Your Word

Kay - Ewing, Kentucky
Themes: family, integrity

I believe in keeping your word. Your word, as it comes out of your mouth, should be just as good as a promise. Neither I, nor anyone else, should have to make someone promise something in order to hold them to what they say. I learned to keep my word as a little girl; it wasn’t an intentional lesson though.

I was not raised by either of my parents. As a little girl the most important person in my life, my mother, would tell me she was going to do something. However, something always came up and she would not follow through with it. That kind of thing will crush a child. I eventually learned if she were to tell me that she was going to do something I would have to make her promise me. If she was really intending on doing it, she’d make the promise. If she didn’t intend to do it she would say, “I’m not going to make a promise I can’t keep”. I remember thinking that made no sense. That is how I always figured out if she was going to do what she said or not. I believe if you don’t plan on doing something, don’t say it.

My mother and I have a strained relationship, but we are working on it. I still love her, after all she is the only mother I will ever have. I have learned some things from her that I strongly believe. I believe I shouldn’t have to make someone promise to do what they say they are going to do, and I keep my own word. If I intend to do something for someone, I’ll tell that individual I’m going to do it, and then I’m going to go follow through with my word.

My mother lived a very hard life and she came by the promise-making just like a lot of people do, honestly. I know she meant well, and she really wanted to do what she said she was going to do, but she had learned that only your word, in promise form, is meant to be kept without fail. I’m very thankful for my mother. She taught me one of the most important lessons I have learned in my life, and it is one I am passing down to my children.

Although unintentional, my mother taught me something very important that will stick with me for the rest of my life; don’t say it unless you mean it, and do what you say you’re going to do.