Honesty is the Best Policy

Michelle Smith - Flossmoor, Illinois

Honesty is the Best Policy

The truth may hurt, but it’s better to be honest to someone then to lie to them. Some people lie to keep the brutal and harsh truth away. This is actually hurting people because their going to find the truth out one way or the other. Parents out of all people need to be honest with there children. When children ask questions to their parents they expect to get an honest answer, not for you to beat around the bush because that only hurts your child. In order for your child to get honest answers from their parents they have to feel comfortable with approaching you with their question. Children can get answers for their questions from anybody, but it’s important to know that the child will feel most comfortable coming to you with it.

Sex is a topic that many parents lie about because they often feel it’s an uncomfortable topic to talk about with their child (which I to agree), but that is really one of the most important discussions a parent can have with their child. Getting information from their peers is not good for a child’s knowledge. This is where children get false information or don’t get all of the information they need to hear. When I was a child it was easy for me to get answers from my mother because I knew that I could talk to her about anything. When the birds and the bee’s subject finally came up my mother was very honest with me. She told me and showed me all the type of diseases you could get from having unprotected sex. What my mom showed me was a good thing because she showed me the repercussions of not have safe sex. Children need to know these things so they can think before they make mistakes.

In conclusion honesty is the best policy for everyone. Parents especially need to be honest because your child depends on you to be vise versa the child should come to you with their question and not beat around it because they are scared of what you might say.