Family Comes First

Karrie - Columbiaville, Michigan

I believe that family comes first. Ever since I was younger (I am now 22) family has always been important to me. My family has always been there for me, and I know that they would do anything for me, good or bad. As close as I am to my parents, there was a period that I thought I would be better without them.

As a young teenager in love, or so I thought at the time, I tried everything in my power to be independent. Right at 16 I got a job, and I tried to pay for as much as I could so that I didn’t have to ask for money. A few years later (at 18) I thought that I was old and mature enough to move in with my boyfriend at the time. We made plans, but I kept putting it off because I was afraid of asking my parents, or just afraid of their reaction.

I waited and waited, but then after getting in trouble for something dumb I just snapped at my mom. She got so upset that I could just tell that she was trying to teach me a lesson. I hadn’t really ever thought of being punished as learning a lesson until that point.

From that point on I looked at life and its lessons a lot differently than I had before. I learned that my parents weren’t out to get me, but there to help me along the way. To this day I always ask my parents for their advice, because I know that they have my best interest at heart.

I am currently engaged, to someone much different and mature than my high school boyfriend, and ready to get married next year. Along with my change in attitude and love interest, I see my attitude towards my family changing once again. This year has and will be a very large turning point in my life. I am getting married, I am graduating from college, and I have to find a real job.

I hadn’t ever really given ANY of this a thought before. I am now, and it is kind of scary. The thing that I find myself doing more than ever is just calling my parents for advice. I will call them for everything and anything, and more than ever before, they give me advice, good advice. So, at this current turning point in my life where nothing is constant and everything is changing, I know that my parents will be there for me no matter what.