Gunnhildur - Evansville, Indiana
Themes: nature

There Is No Such Thing As Too Much Garlic!

This I discovered by accident. You see, when I was growing up in Iceland my mother and grandmother used salt and pepper, sometimes paprika or curry, and sometimes onion, to flavor the food. It was not until I was 20 years old that I was first introduced to garlic – and even then it was not the real thing, it was a chicken which had had garlic powder added to the salt and pepper for seasoning. Even at that it made a lasting impression.

I immediately started experimenting, first with the use of garlic powder, and then with the real thing, but only using one or two cloves as most recipes commanded. A few years later, then living in Copenhagen, I had invited a few friends over for dinner. I was using a Danish recipe which included “one fat garlicâ€? so I had selected the biggest garlic I found. The food smelled wonderful – as did the whole apartment. And the taste, so rich and delicious. One of my friends, however, a diplomat and much more savvy than the rest of us, asked about the amount of garlic in the food. When I showed him the recipe he pointed out that my translation had been somewhat amiss. The words I had translated as one fat garlic (en fed hvidlog) could and should in this instance have been translated as one clove garlic, as “fedâ€? could either be “fatâ€? or “clove.â€? But he agreed that the result of this mistake was excellent.

Since then I have multiplied the amount of garlic in any recipe I happen to use, as well as in creating my own, which has been a great success with my dinner guests. And I should add that my husband and I consider garlic one of the five basic food groups (along with cheese, cream, chocolate, and cognac).

Not only does garlic improve about any food it is added to, it also keeps us healthy. Whether it is because of some inherent qualities of it or if it is because it may keep non garlic eating people at arms (or breath’s) length from you I do not know. I only know that I believe there is no such thing as too much garlic!