Never Give up

Desiree - N. Stratford, New Hampshire

There are many things that I believe about the nursing field, and being a nurse. There is one belief, specifically, that stands out. I believe that nurses can never give up. Nurses will come across very difficult situations and patients, but they can never give up on them. I also believe in continuing my dream to be a nurse, and persevering through whatever tasks I need to.

For my fifth birthday my mom gave me something that was more than just a present. I still remember waking up that sunny morning, my mom braiding my hair into two French braids, and telling me she had a surprise. We walked about a half of mile down what we call “the farm road” which was an old dirt road that had been used as the main road many years ago. The road lead to an old farm that a man and his wife had just bought. Her name was Ally and she trained horses and gave lessons for a living. That day I had my first of many lessons.

About three years later, when I was around eight, I had a lesson on a horse I had never ridden before. About half way through the lesson, for one reason or another, the horse got pretty irritated and decided to throw me off. So over his head I went, landing on my wrist, and hurting it pretty bad. At that point I had had enough for the day and figured I’d go home. Ally came over and told me to get back on. Sitting on the ground I stared up this horse who now looked even bigger than he did before. She told me that if I didn’t get back on today, that I wouldn’t want to get back on tomorrow, and the day after that I really wouldn’t want to get back on. With my heart pounding and my wrist hurting, Ally helped me back on and we finished the lesson. With my mom believing that my wrist was just sprained, it took a week before she took me to get x-rays, and found out that it was actually fractured. This almost led me to write about believing children when they tell you they’re hurt!

This essay is more than learning to get back on a horse when you’re thrown. It’s about perseverance and not letting something stop your dreams, beliefs, or anything you wish to accomplish.

I know that nursing is not an easy major, and I also know that it is going to be much harder as I continue in the program. I have to do the best that I can, letting nothing discourage me enough to give up on my dream of becoming a nurse. Once I am a nurse, I need to stay focused and not give up when something gets hard.