I Believe Everything Happens For a Reason

Alyssa - Augusta, Maine
Themes: illness, purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason. I view life as paths that branch off

by the choices we make, and where we end up is all in the situation we created.

When I was a child, my best friends mother was diagnosed with cancer, just a

few years after being paralyzed on her whole left side by a stroke. She was an at home

mother raising three kids. The reality was that she only had months to live. Going over

to my friends house every day gave me an appreciation for the life I was living. The

sympathy I felt for my friend was anguishing, and I felt helpless. I never understood why

such horrible things happened to great people. The day came when her sickness worsened, and from there all she could do was lay in her hospital bed, immobile, with a nurse by her bed side. As a little girl I never truly realized the meaning of the situation. This is just one occurrence in my life that has helped me branch to who I am today and to choose the path I have taken. The desire I had as a little girl to want to take all her pain away gave me the ability to realize that I want to make a difference. Although, sickness has taken my best friends mother, the experience has given me a chance to grow.

As I grew older, I started to see that things aren’t always what I expected them to

be. A few years after her mother’s death, my best friend moved away and another

milestone in my life gave me a different path to take. At the age of ten my grandfather

died instantly from a heart attack. The sadness that struck was unbearable and it was hard for me to cope. He gave me a little part of who I am, which made his death

insufferable . As tears flowed down my cheeks, I would sit and write in my journal about why things happened the way they did. It was at this point in my life when I started to

realize that it wasn’t about who deserved to die or who didn’t, It was about life in itself

and how I was to deal with it. This has helped me realize that everything happens for a

reason and it has helped me to find the path I truly want to follow.

I no longer rely on my emotions to make me who I am, although I have no issues

expressing them. I feel that I have been through too much to just melt away. I look upon the situations that went on in my life to understand where life has taken me and

depend upon my ability to strive to get me where I want to go. I not only desire to make

a difference in this world, but I demand of myself to do whatever it takes to get me

there. I want to be that shoulder to mourn on, or that hand to hold; but I mostly want to

be the person who puts a smile on someone else’s face. I want to be that branch in

someone’s life that makes a difference, I feel that nursing gives me the ability to

change someone’s life.