Rock On

Charles - Davie, Florida

Rock On

I believe in the unifying and emotional power of music. Music has always been a large part of my life. Throughout it, I’ve gone through phases of playing the piano, guitar, violin, and harmonica. And although I no longer play these instruments often, save for one of my periodic guitar phases, music is still very important to me. It has the power to unify people and control emotions.

I remember a couple of years ago being at a local concert. I went to it with a couple friends whom I didn’t know all that well. And I certainly didn’t know anyone else there. The situation felt stiff and somewhat uncomfortable as I wasn’t well acquainted with anyone. However, when the music started playing, it was as if a restraint had been lifted; I felt at ease and connected with everyone else in the room. People started dancing, and I started dancing, and all was at ease. The power of music unified everyone there into a single music loving unit.

Many songs and types of music are tied to emotions because they were played during a certain event or regularly played to represent something. Often times, when these songs are played later, they cause people to feel the same emotions they did during the first time it was played. For example, when I was in 5th grade, I went to my school’s “end of the year” program in a limo with several friends. After the program we rode around and went to the beach and the whole time I had a lot of fun. Through a combination of cd’s and the radio, the song “Take me Out” by Franz Ferdinand was played in the limo at least four times during the whole ride. It seemed like it was always playing. Now, whenever I hear this song it brings back the memories of that day, and makes me happy and somewhat nostalgic.

Music also has the ability to change feelings based on how it sounds. For example, upbeat music puts me into an energetic and exited mood, while slow and mellow music relaxes me and relieves stress. Many days when I get home after a hard day at school and swimming practice, I put on some peaceful music such as The Red Hot Chili Peppers or Pearl Jam and it helps me relax and makes me better able to start my homework. Other times, when I have friends over and I want to get everyone into a more energetic mood I’ll turn on some faster and more intense music like techno or heavy metal and it turns the environment into a more lively one.

I strongly believe that music has the power to change emotions and bring people close together. Music can break down boundaries and create a sense of togetherness. In addition, emotions can be linked to particular songs as a result of them being played during specific events. Finally, music can greatly change one’s attitude and feelings based on how it sounds and the overall feel of the music.