Oshka-Poshka Land

Lauren - Hallandale, Florida

Oshka-Poshka Land

Back in my younger years as a frivolous child, my father would tell me about a magical place. I believed everything about it; even that the clouds were made of marshmallows, the grass of licorice, cornfields were made of Candy-corn, and that ice-cream really did grow on trees- but that as soon as you picked it off the tree it began to melt. I wished every night before I fell asleep that I would wake up in this enchanted foreign place, Oshka-Poshka Land. However, growing up the force of Oshka-Poshka faded into an almost distant memory. Whenever stress begins to conquer my life or I feel that my plate is just too full, I mentally escape to Oshka-Poshka Land where I remember that everything will work out and be okay. Therefore, I believe in the power of Oshka-Poshka Land.

Many people deal with daily stresses in unhealthy ways. Some resort to drinking or drugs, but really just realizing that there is always tomorrow and that everything will turn out well in the end is often forgotten. If people were able to remember their own childhood dreams and memories, then their minds would be healthier. The most dangerous thing about getting older is growing up.

As I age, I have promised myself to always remember who I am, who I was and have been, and who I will and aspire to be. Too many people are easily aggravated with young and immature thoughts, when really they should envy the ability to relax and not obsess over their daily challenges.

Children or youths often annoy their elders or authority figures because of their carefree attitudes and ease with life. The younger someone is, the easier it is to escape their difficulties and enter a world of bliss and felicity. Some may call this world a “Never Never Land”. Instead, I call it Oshka-Poshka Land. It is purely innocent and is an impression of an easy heart.

As I continue to grow and pursue my life, I will always remember the child within me, and the Oshka-Poshka Land inside every horrible place and situation. Oshka-Poshka Land is a way for me to see even the smallest scintillation and glimmer at the end of any tunnel. I cannot always carry around a tree filled with fresh ice-cream or a corn field made of Candy-Corns and licorice grass, but I will always carry the memory and ability to pacify myself through challenges and rough times. I believe in the power of Oshka-Poshka Land.