Nothing is by Coincidence

Caitlin - San Clemente, California
Themes: purpose

One might like to think that running into an old high school buddy in the middle of Alaska was just mere coincidence, or you just happen to find that $20 in the trash can when throwing away some disgusting sandwich you knew would be disgusting before you even bought it. But I believe there is rhythm and rhyme to every movement, every thing we come in contact with. For even the smallest detail in life can change our whole dramatically. I was born a healthy baby. By the month 11, I became very sick. It was Spinal Meningitis. I did get better but not without it leaving some scars on me. It blew out the hearing in my left ear, and gave me some microscopic brain damage, along with little scars on my body. That disease is deadly and I am grateful to have survived it let alone only have those minimal scars from that disease. I know survived for a reason. Because of losing my hearing in one ear, Being half deaf makes you loose your sense of where sound comes from and also your equilibrium. I have learned to rely on my other senses more. Even though I find that I don’t suffer from any traumatic brain damage, I can only think of what I did really loose. But the combination of both my loosing of hearing and brain loose, I realize this disease gave me the power to become an artist. I internally think about the world a lot, and have a tendency to forget to even share what it is I am thinking. My thoughts are chaotic and sometimes lead no where but they are so full of color and movement. I can visualize my piece with this magic of a power before I do it that it motivates me to try and accomplish that dream. I miss a lot everyday by not hearing in my left ear, but I try to be very interested in what is going on around me so I don’t miss that much. With that type of dedication, I have gained another type of sense, to pick up on the little things of the world that might be overlooked. Nothing should be seen as a mistake. I believe that the reasons we go through certain things are for something that is beyond our knowledge. My disease, even though it was hard on my family and those around me, and sure it gave me a few scars, later on it has given me a power to become an artist. I believe that nothing is by accident. Say “hi” to your high school buddy, and pay friend back with that money from the trash but don’t just forget about that occurrences, believe it them.