How Love Found Me

Vickie - Waldorf, Maryland
Themes: love

How Love Found Me

I believe that some people are, meant to be together. This may sound like something from a corny romance novel but it happened to me on a cold Christmas Eve many years ago.

Every Christmas Eve my family and I would go to church for the candlelight service. It was such a special service singing carols, Bible reading and at the end of the service lighting candles in the dark quiet church. The service really helped to set the mood for the true meaning of Christmas. Afterwards we would go home and spend time together as a family.

Like my friends, I had been looking for a lasting relationship and I felt like something or someone was missing from my life. I wanted very much to find someone who would love me, but the prospects at 25 were starting to look dim. What if I never met the right man for me, this was something I did not want to contemplate.

On one particular Christmas Eve, my friend Jan and I entered the Church lobby and stopped to look at the Christmas decorations. The lobby decorated with wreaths with cheery red ribbons and Christmas tree balls gave the ecru-colored walls a festive look. While we stood, there two men walked in the door one of them was my friend’s ex-boyfriend. Jan frowned at her ex-boyfriend who wore a bright orange jump suit that made him look like a large pumpkin with two legs. The other man was tall wearing a plaid shirt and blue jeans, he had black hair and green eyes; our radars zeroed in on the handsome one. Our first reaction was “wow he’s gorgeous.” When the service was over, we stepped into the lobby where we were introduced, to this epitome of male beauty. My friend was very interested in him but his green eyes only saw me. He asked for my telephone number he called me for a date a few days later. As we got, to know each other better we discovered that we had known each other a long time ago. To our surprise, we had both been in the same fourth and 5th grade classes in elementary school and our parents had grown up in the same neighborhood. When I was in 6th grade, we moved away and I started going to another school. The chances of our seeing each other ever again were about as good as my winning the million-dollar lottery.

I have always been a romantic. When I was a little girl, I liked reading the stories of the handsome prince riding up on his white horse to save the damsel in distress. My handsome prince came, riding up in a copper colored jeep that Christmas Eve. You may call it destiny or luck but it brought us together. We celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary this April.